American Idol (and judging people)

My family has enjoyed watching the TV show "American Idol" for years. We've seen judges come and go, from Simon Cowl to Stephen Tyler. Some of the judges we have not been very fond of, and some we've considered honest while still kind. This year, however, we were unsure what to expect of the new panel of judges consisting of Mariah Carey, Nicki Minaj, Keith Urban, and the only judge who's stuck it out through the years, Randy Jackson.

I have to admit, after watching only one episode of the American Idol Season 12 auditions, I was annoyed and disgusted. I saw (and still see) the judges as far too judgmental of people before they even began to sing based on their appearance or other attributes. I also don't like how the judges are rude to people who really believe they can sing, as if singing is everything and you're a "nobody" if you can't sing. My favorite auditions are the ones where the judges laugh at people they think will be bad singers, but they end up blowing the judges away. One young man sang a song and didn't have a stellar voice but also didn't have a terrible voice. The judges all voted "no," and before he left the room he asked if he could have a handshake. No one obliged, and he left the room.

I'm not writing this post to totally put down the American Idol judges. They're not flat-out rude at all times, as I've made them out to be. They're just not as kind as I hoped they would be, and their judgmental moments have made me realize something about myself.   Watching the show, I realized something - I do, it too. I do the very thing I am disgusted by - I judge people.

Before I even get to know people, I decide what kind of person I think they will be based on their appearance, voice, etc., not based on what really matters - what's on the inside. It makes me wonder...if I judged people less, would I reach out to people more and try to get to know more people? Would I have more great friendships than I did before? Not being judgmental of people doesn't mean I have to hang out with everyone or befriend every single person I see. It just means that before I decide what kind of person someone is, I actually get to know them and think the best of them. Judging people isn't my job - it's God's job. So, I'm gonna be striving to leaving the judging up to God. I hope you will join me.
  post signature

rebecajones  – (January 28, 2013 at 7:06 PM)  

Well said, Talia. Funny how easily we get disgusted by the behavior of others when we are guilty of the same. Judging others unfairly is easy to do--may we all follow your lead in leaving that to the Lord. Wise words!

Madison  – (January 28, 2013 at 7:09 PM)  

Wow this is so true! I usually get disgusted at how other people treat others but I do it too! I judge people before I know them. That's wrong. Thank you for this encouragement Talia!

-Madi

Anonymous –   – (January 29, 2013 at 8:06 AM)  

Great post, Talia. What you said is so true. I wish all Christians could read this. It's so ironic that I judge people for judging others, then realize that I am doing exactly what they are doing. Great job!

Love, Haley

Brooke  – (January 29, 2013 at 1:01 PM)  

I can barely watch because of the criticism.:(
Great post! I mean, really.:)

Sam Parker  – (January 29, 2013 at 5:22 PM)  

Luke 6:37 - Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned.

Well said, Tal.

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Just be sure to use your common sense and no bad language or comment topics, please. This is not to be mean, but to keep everyone safe! Any comments that do not go along these rules will be deleted before anyone else can view them. Please keep your words clean, pure, and pleasing to God!

etiquette and such

Girlz of God Copyright Talia DeAndrea 2010, 2011, 2012. "Genuine," "Girlz of God," and "Tania's Faith" book excerpts Copyright Talia DeAndrea 2010, 2011, 2012. All pictures Copyright Talia DeAndrea, unless otherwise noted. Please do not steal or copy anything on this blog without my permission. Thank you :-).

Header, button, and signature copyright Marieanne.

Shush template by Our Blog Templates.

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP