To Want All of God

I have a problem.

It's a problem I know many of us face...a problem often overlooked when compared to other "bigger" problems, but a major problem nonetheless.

I neglect God.

Do you know what I'm talking about? I push God out of the way because doing what I want seems more fun. I'll admit that when I'm reading in my bed at night (I'm a bookworm), I often feel a tug to read my devotions. But, usually, I think, Um - what I want to read is much more fun than my devotions! It's kind of a strange thought that I'm neglecting God by reading Christian books and magazines...

I find that I'm so much closer to God when I'm doing my devotions and spending a quiet time in prayer talking and listening to God daily. I'm living more the way He wants me to live instead of the way I want to live. My words are more encouraging. I go out of my way to be kind to others, opposed to when I'm not spending time with God and I can be rude, abrupt, or disrespectful (or just plain mean). Spending time with God makes me want to be more loving, generous, encouraging, prayerful, thoughtful, and careful about what I do and say, while neglecting Him encourages the opposite.

A pastor at our church told us this quote at youth group, and it is remarkably true and relevant: "We have as much of God as we want." (not sure who the quote's by) I'm just gonna let that sink in for a moment. Read it again:

"We have as much of God as we want."  

I bet a lot of you, like myself, would try to answer that question by jumping in and exclaiming, "I want ALL of God!" But do our actions really portray this desire? Do we really want all of God? Or do we want "enough" of God and an abundance of ourselves and our desires?

I've realized that my relationship with God is the most fulfilling relationship I (and you) can ever have. So why do I put off the most important person in life - the Creator of life?!? How can I be so selfish and think that neglecting God will be more rewarding than God's eternal blessings?

I am determined to spend time with Jesus Christ my Savior and let my actions show that I desire to follow Christ and put His perfect wants before my own sinful ones.

I am determined to want all of God.  
post signature

Brooke  – (December 5, 2012 at 6:03 PM)  

I feel like this post was made for me.
I am guilty of this. I really have treated God horribly the past couple months. Thank you...just thank you.♥

"We have as much of God as we want."

I am going to let that one sink in.

http://jumping4jesus.blogspot.com/

Anonymous –   – (December 5, 2012 at 6:40 PM)  

Hey Tal :)

This is so good... just so good. It kind of seems "redundant" because I say this a lot, but I really mean it... thanks so much for writing this. I really appreciate how you write stuff that really relates to other girls, like me. God is using you greatly--I know in my life, and probably many other girls. So thanks. :) love, Haley

Sisters  – (December 5, 2012 at 10:03 PM)  

This was a great post! Thanks for the reminder.
Christina

Kara –   – (December 6, 2012 at 9:40 AM)  

Thank you so much for this post! It spoke right to me; I have been neglecting God in devotions and prayer so much ever since I can remember. Your post just put it in a new light, and I think the Holy Spirit is using it to convict me about my life with Him. Thanks! I think I'll go do devotional right now... :)

Molly Marie  – (December 6, 2012 at 1:35 PM)  

Talia, thank you so, so much for posting this. I have been guilty of this lately. I do neglect God, just because I want to do my own things. I do also stay up at night, doing my own things, and trying to get rid of that voice that's telling me to pick up my Bible.
I cannot tell you how much this inspired me. It's posts like this that love to read more than anything, because I really get something out of them <3

~Molly~
mollyslittlecorner.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Just be sure to use your common sense and no bad language or comment topics, please. This is not to be mean, but to keep everyone safe! Any comments that do not go along these rules will be deleted before anyone else can view them. Please keep your words clean, pure, and pleasing to God!

etiquette and such

Girlz of God Copyright Talia DeAndrea 2010, 2011, 2012. "Genuine," "Girlz of God," and "Tania's Faith" book excerpts Copyright Talia DeAndrea 2010, 2011, 2012. All pictures Copyright Talia DeAndrea, unless otherwise noted. Please do not steal or copy anything on this blog without my permission. Thank you :-).

Header, button, and signature copyright Marieanne.

Shush template by Our Blog Templates.

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP