The One - The Only - NANOWRIMO!!!

I am super excited for NaNoWriMo this year.

I have done NaNo twice now (two years). In case you are unaware of what NaNoWriMo  is, allow me give you a brief explanation...

NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) is where you set a word-count goal for yourself (kids can set any goal; adults have to do 50,000 words or more) and try to write a novel in a month. The website gives you helpful encouragement, story ideas, and more. You can track your word count, add other friends who are doing NaNo and view their word count goals, give an excerpt of your story, and more.

I absolutely love NaNoWriMo and think it is fantastic. The first year I did it, I wrote my novel "Tania's Faith," which I have since self-published. I had set my word goal as 50,000 words (which is a LOT for once month) and had gotten busy and thought that there was no way I could finish my novel on time. Well, I became determined to finish all 50,000 words by the end of the month. Sure enough, on the last day of November, late at night, I finished all 50,000 words and my first completed novel. I was more proud than I have ever been in my life! That was one of the best moments of my life. The feeling of accomplishment was amazing!

My second year taking part in NaNoWriMo, I set a more reasonable word-count goal (30,000 words) and completed my second novel ever, "Genuine," by the end of the month.

Let me just say that I think NaNoWriMo is a fantastic experience, even if you don't finish your novel (although it is SO rewarding if you do!). You learn, grow, become a better writer.

I know that schedules get busy and you may think you have no time to do it, but really, it is SO worth it. You don't have to make crazy word-count goals. I'd just suggest that if you have a busy schedule, even a small word-count goal is good. It's just good to finish it, in my opinion. This year I think I will set my word count goal for 50,000 again.

My friend Kara sent me a few questions about NaNoWriMo, and I thought I'd answer them here!

What does buddying mean?
This is where you add your friends and can see their profiles and statistics on your page. You can also receive private messages from those you are friends with.

Where do I write my story at when it's time?
I just open up an Open Office document and start writing. I always save my work and manually update my word count. Then, once you've finished your novel, the site has instructions for how to upload your novel for a proper word-count. I would highly suggest writing your novel on the computer, because your computer will most likely have a built-in word counter!

I hope this post has given you a small glimpse into the "NaNo" world :-). I sincerely hope you will try it this year! (And if you do, tell me your username so we can be friends!) Also, if this will interest you, in the past couple of years they've offered a free copy of your book if you finish it from CreateSpace. I do not know if they are offering it this year or not.

Have a wonderful day, Girlz!

post signature

Brooke  – (October 24, 2012 at 2:56 PM)  

I should try writing one this month! I know it was really a great feeling when I finished writing my first novel (which took 2 years instead of a month), but this would be a great way to get me to write another one in a much shorter time.

Madeline  – (October 24, 2012 at 3:12 PM)  

This is my first year doing it. I'm using it to finish an already started book that before had no plot, and I'm super excited! Since I'm almost near the end, the word count is uncertain.
If I can finish it a few days BEFORE the start of Nov., maybe I can start/finish a new one.

~Madeline :)

Hannah  – (October 24, 2012 at 3:58 PM)  

Oh my goodness I cannot wait!! This year, I'm not going to try and finish my novel but work on it a little every day. I'm writing it with three of my friends and I'm super excited about how it will turn out! :)

Hannah

Kara  – (October 25, 2012 at 4:04 PM)  

Hey! Here is the link to me on Nano! http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/teen4jesus/buddies

Anonymous –   – (October 25, 2012 at 4:10 PM)  

When does this writing month begin? Has it already started? Or does it start in November?

Jenny  – (October 26, 2012 at 8:41 AM)  

Hmm, I'm thinking about doing it. I've never heard of it before, though. I'll definitely look into it. :)
~Jenny

Hannah  – (October 29, 2012 at 4:18 PM)  

Here's a link to my profile: http://ywp.nanowrimo.org/user/739006

Hannah

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Just be sure to use your common sense and no bad language or comment topics, please. This is not to be mean, but to keep everyone safe! Any comments that do not go along these rules will be deleted before anyone else can view them. Please keep your words clean, pure, and pleasing to God!

etiquette and such

Girlz of God Copyright Talia DeAndrea 2010, 2011, 2012. "Genuine," "Girlz of God," and "Tania's Faith" book excerpts Copyright Talia DeAndrea 2010, 2011, 2012. All pictures Copyright Talia DeAndrea, unless otherwise noted. Please do not steal or copy anything on this blog without my permission. Thank you :-).

Header, button, and signature copyright Marieanne.

Shush template by Our Blog Templates.

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP