Box of Memories

This afternoon, I was pretty bored, so I decided to get out my box of letters (I have two boxes of letters, but hadn't read the letters in this particular box for a while). I pulled the dusty box out of the closet, opened it, and was captivated.


I opened each letter, reading the words of cherished friends and family. I read "Get well" wishes I received when I broke my leg and had to have a body cast. I read birthday wishes scrawled on princess cards. I read letters from friends that were written when I was young - letters with terrible spelling, backwards letters, and cute drawings. And I cherished all of them.


Each letter or card I read brought a different memory to mind. Good memories, bad memories, happy memories, sad memories.


And each letter reminded me of the young me. I was a lot like I am now - a dreamer, a princess, a writer - but in a lot of ways I was different, too. I loved to dance. I drew at least one picture almost every day. I played with dolls. I didn't sing as much. I didn't know which friends would still be my friends. I thought the age of seven was a pretty neat, important age.

Sure, I have bad memories. But they've helped me learn and grow. And whenever I open my box of memories, I am reminded of people and memories that I have cherished and will cherish forever.

"Dreams, they come // Plans, they change // Yea, we're gonna break // Yea, we're gonna break // Things we face make us who we are // Baby, you're a star shining in the dark // Let's go back to the summer, summer when // We dreamed in love, let's go back again // Let's go back again // Yea, back again, my friend // To the summer when... // I'm holding a picture from seven years back // I smile at the memory, it's smiling right back at me, and I see // Brown hair and bright eyes, such a beautiful blue // A heart full of laughter with nothing to lose // That's how I remember you // You were young, you were free // And you dared to believe // You could be the girl // Who could change the world // Then your life took a turn // And you fell, and it hurt // But you're still that girl // And you're gonna change this world." - Britt Nicole, Still That Girl


Anonymous –   – (October 9, 2012 at 4:24 PM)  

Talia, I have a three foot long box under my bed filled with notebooks, letters, diarys, cards, pictures, and all that... Plus so much more. I just can't seem to get rid of those things :). Every once in a while I take the time to go through and look at it all... To remember. Just as you put so beautifully, it brings back the memories, good and bad. And it reminds me of who I am and who I was. Sometimes I get discouraged and just wish that I didn't have the Life I have. But every time those memories come back, I can see how far I've come, and I can know that I will keep making it... With God's help!! Thanks so much for writing this, it inspired me so much!

Love, Haley

P.s. I love that song!!!

Brooke  – (October 9, 2012 at 4:26 PM)  

I absolutely LOVE the song 'Still That Girl'! It's one of my favorites. I'm seeing Britt Nicole in concert this week, and am thrilled! :)

Molly Marie  – (October 10, 2012 at 10:36 AM)  

Talia, I really loved this post. Seriously, it was awesome :) I love looking back at past memories, whether good or bad. I really needed this reminder that these past memories have made me who I am now, just who God wants me to be ♥
This is the first time I've ever heard this song, but I really like it :D

~Molly~
mollyslittlecorner.blogspot.com

Shelley  – (October 11, 2012 at 3:15 PM)  

That's a great idea to keep all the cards you've received so you can look back on them later! :)

Kara Klarabelle Siert  – (October 16, 2012 at 4:21 PM)  

Aw, this is sweet, and loved the pics you took! I love letters too, and enjoy looking back at them as well! <3

EMMA  – (November 1, 2012 at 4:03 PM)  

I really liked the song!
Emma
http://emmavogelsang.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Just be sure to use your common sense and no bad language or comment topics, please. This is not to be mean, but to keep everyone safe! Any comments that do not go along these rules will be deleted before anyone else can view them. Please keep your words clean, pure, and pleasing to God!

etiquette and such

Girlz of God Copyright Talia DeAndrea 2010, 2011, 2012. "Genuine," "Girlz of God," and "Tania's Faith" book excerpts Copyright Talia DeAndrea 2010, 2011, 2012. All pictures Copyright Talia DeAndrea, unless otherwise noted. Please do not steal or copy anything on this blog without my permission. Thank you :-).

Header, button, and signature copyright Marieanne.

Shush template by Our Blog Templates.

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP