My Thoughts on the Chick-Fil-A Controversy

I'm sure many of you know about the Chick-fil-a controversy. If you don't, allow me to enlighten you...
The owner of Chick-fil-a, Dan Cathy, recently said about gay rights, ""We are very much supportive of the family—the biblical definition of the family unit. We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that." His statement created an uproar of sorts. Many gathered at their local Chick-Fil-A's on August 1st (which Mike Huckabee declared Chick-fil-a Appreciation Day) to support Chick-Fil-A and Dan Cathy's stand. Gay rights supporters organized a "Same-sex Kiss Day", and many protesters gathered at Chick-Fil-A to support gay rights. Graffiti reading "Tastes like Hate" was even sprayed on the wall of a Chick-Fil-A building.

Let me start by saying that I completely agree with Cathy's statement. While I'm not going to go into detail about why I think homosexuality is wrong, you can read my thoughts about the subject here and here.

Mike Huckabee posted this on the Chick-Fil-A Appreciation Day Facebook Page: "We are for the freedom of Americans to speak their mind and practice their faith. There is no need to lower ourselves into childish name-calling and screaming. That is what people do when they can't defend or explain their point of view." I agree wholeheartedly with what he said. Cathy wasn't putting down gay people. He simply could not tolerate and stand for what they believe. He was NOT discriminating gay people. Just because I think the Twilight books look pointless doesn't mean I am discriminating the author. What I find fascinating is that, for some reason, people who are for gay rights are not allowing Cathy the same freedom of speech that they themselves wish to have.

Let me clear something up:  I do not believe that gay people should be hurt or discriminated. I believe that the best way to get the love of Christ through to them is by living it out - by loving them. Also, I do NOT believe that in Dan Cathy's statement he was at all discriminating gay people. Just because I don't care to read/watch Twilight and do not agree with the values and morals it portrays does not mean I am discriminating the author. In a post titled "God is Love" on my friend's blog, she posted a few links to articles I thought were really neat. Check it out:

"And love is some of the Chick-fil-a restaurants giving out free cold water to protesters even after graffiti was scrawled on the wall of one of their restaurants...

Giving out free water / sweet tea -
here, here, and at the end of the article here." - Klarabelle Candy

That's right - Chick-Fil-A workers handed out water and sweet tea to gay rights protesters! That is love, my friend.

Well, I hope my little rant has made you think a bit...I'd like to hear your opinion as well (done respectfully and in love, of course). I encourage you to go check out THIS post as well.

GO CHICK-FIL-A!

(from google images search)

post signature

♥Lexi♥ –   – (August 7, 2012 at 4:05 PM)  

I'm completely with you Talia!
I ♥ Chickfila!!:)

Kara Klarabelle Siert  – (August 7, 2012 at 8:28 PM)  

Talia dear!
Of course I completely agree with you :)
Can I just say you are an amazing writer? You are great at phrasing your thoughts. Often times your writing just blows me away. Really.
That being said, you are so sweet to cite my post. Thanks for posting on this too, dear, I loved to read your thoughts and I'm glad you posted the original quote from Mr. Cathy, as well as Mike Huckabee's, I hadn't heard his quote before.
Go Chick-fil-a!

A.J.  – (August 8, 2012 at 4:32 PM)  

I agree with every word of this! :)

-A.J.

Ireland  – (August 11, 2012 at 10:06 PM)  

I agree with every word of this Talia!!! Good job for posting about this! Also, I am having a giveaway right now and would love it if you entered! You have such a great blog and I have been slacking on commenting!!! ;)

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Just be sure to use your common sense and no bad language or comment topics, please. This is not to be mean, but to keep everyone safe! Any comments that do not go along these rules will be deleted before anyone else can view them. Please keep your words clean, pure, and pleasing to God!

etiquette and such

Girlz of God Copyright Talia DeAndrea 2010, 2011, 2012. "Genuine," "Girlz of God," and "Tania's Faith" book excerpts Copyright Talia DeAndrea 2010, 2011, 2012. All pictures Copyright Talia DeAndrea, unless otherwise noted. Please do not steal or copy anything on this blog without my permission. Thank you :-).

Header, button, and signature copyright Marieanne.

Shush template by Our Blog Templates.

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP