Log in My Eye

(note: please don't be scared by the title. I don't have an actual log in my eye ☺)

Judging people is something I do far too often. It's one of those sins that lots of people think of as "not that bad." Sure, we say that judging people is bad, yet we ignore the fact that we are judging people. We disregard judging others as "not that bad." Sometimes we don't even acknowledge that we are judging others when we see a person and negative thoughts instantly come into our minds. I often judge people by how they look. She has a lot of tattoos...she must be a rebel who watches bad movies and listens to explicit music. He looks nerdy...he must be a nerd with no friends who spends his days at home on his computer. I know, it's ridiculous and cruel. It sounds even worse when we put it into words, doesn't it?

(from Google Search)

Not judging others does not at all mean agreeing with them. Judging and disagreeing are two very different things. Take the Chick-fil-a controversy, for instance. While I don't know all the details of what happened, Dan Cathy (the owner of Chick-fil-a) said: "We are very much supportive of the family — the biblical definition of the family unit. We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that.” Dan Cathy was simply taking a stand for what he believes in; he wasn't judging homosexual people by putting them down or discriminating them, as some have (sadly) done. What I find fascinating is that pro-gay people often argue that they have freedom of speech, then don't allow another person to have the same freedom if he has an opposing view. But I'm not posting this to rant what I think about Chick-fil-a or homosexuality.

Matthew 7:2-4 says:
 For you will be treated as you treat others.The standard you use in judging is the standard by which you will be judged. “And why worry about a speck in your friend’s eye when you have a log in your own? How can you think of saying to your friend, ‘Let me help you get rid of that speck in your eye,’ when you can’t see past the log in your own eye?

Boy, is that convicting! Often times I focus on other's flaws and sins so I can ignore my own or pretend they aren't there. I try to get my friends to take the specks out of their eyes (or oftentimes try to take it out myself!) when I can't even see around the humongous log in my own eye!

People may be going through tough times. We have no idea what is going on in people's minds and hearts, so why should we act like we do or try to trick ourselves into believing we know who everybody is and what everybody thinks, feels, etc.? Everyone has a different story. Everyone has trials and obstacles they are going through. NOT everyone knows Jesus Christ. Instead of judging them based on what WE can see, why don't we love others with the love of Christ?
post signature

emii.  – (August 3, 2012 at 7:29 PM)  

oh talia this is a good post that i so did need to read!

Kara Klarabelle Siert  – (August 7, 2012 at 8:34 PM)  

This is a great post (I say that so much about your posts cuz it's true). I agree. I have realised recently I have major issues with judging people. Thanks for posting this article. It's very thought-provoking. :) Love you!

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Just be sure to use your common sense and no bad language or comment topics, please. This is not to be mean, but to keep everyone safe! Any comments that do not go along these rules will be deleted before anyone else can view them. Please keep your words clean, pure, and pleasing to God!

etiquette and such

Girlz of God Copyright Talia DeAndrea 2010, 2011, 2012. "Genuine," "Girlz of God," and "Tania's Faith" book excerpts Copyright Talia DeAndrea 2010, 2011, 2012. All pictures Copyright Talia DeAndrea, unless otherwise noted. Please do not steal or copy anything on this blog without my permission. Thank you :-).

Header, button, and signature copyright Marieanne.

Shush template by Our Blog Templates.

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP