Bible Bee

My first time ever competing in Bible Bee was on Saturday (two days ago). I had studied 2 Timothy and memorized 117 verses over the summer, and Saturday local competition.

Let me start relaying my experience by telling you that it was a great experience. I loved the Sword Study (study book that studies 2 Timothy). I learned a ton about Paul, Timothy, and the book of 2 Timothy, and the SS got me to dig deep into my Bible to find answers and discover new things I didn't know. It was great. It was also great memorizing the 25 passages assigned. Even if I don't qualify for Nationals, hiding God's Word in my heart is still completely worth it. I know these verses will be in my head and heart for a long time, if not forever. One of my favorites was Ephesians 6:10-18 (NIV), which says:

Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power.   Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.  Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place,  and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace.  In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one.  Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.  And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints.

That verse is a wonderful reminder that we need to always be prepared for spiritual battle. We need to put on the attributes of a Godly soldier and face the devil with the courage of a soldier of God! We need to be soldiers of God!

Now, to the competition...the first test for my age division was the Written Test. It consisted of 200 questions based on 2 Timothy, cross references, Greek words, and Bible verse content knowledge. We were supposed to try to finish it in one hour. I doubted that I would, but I tried my best, and a couple seconds before the timer dinged signaling the end of the hour, I completed the 200th question. I was very happy! I was shaking from trying to finish them all. Haha! It helped that I did a practice test through Memverse and memorized the Greek words. Want to know how I memorized them? I sang them to the tune of "Call Me Maybe." Weird memorization strategy, I know, but - it worked! Haha! Next was the Oral Test, but I was second to last for the whole day, so I had to wait a while. I was pretty nervous by the time it was my turn. I asked my mom, "How talk should I fast?" Haha! The Oral Test went very well. I messed up and had to start a verse over, but besides that, I didn't need an enormous amount of prompts. You could recite up to 20 passages within 12 minutes, and I am glad to say that I completed them with 1 minute remaining! I was very excited.

I didn't end up placing in top 5 for locals, but that doesn't mean I won't make it into Nationals. We will have to wait until Wednesday to find out. I found out my Bible Bee local scores today...

...drum roll please...

I got 390 on the written test (I don't really know what that means) and 277/300 points for the Oral Test. I placed 11th out of 29 other students in my age division, which I am very happy about! I live a ways away from the local Bee, so I wasn't able to go to their meetings and practices. Plus, a lot of the kids study a couple hours a day, so I just tried my best and am happy with the results!

Bible Bee was a great experience!

(p.s. Quick prayer request...my best friend's family is living in an area where Hurrican Isaac is expected to touch down tomorrow morning. PLEASE be praying for them and everyone in the area!)
post signature

Molly Marie  – (August 27, 2012 at 11:38 AM)  

SO COOL! I did Bible quizzing for my old church, and every year I had a total blast. I have heard about this before, and I really want to do it, so when I saw this on my dashboard, I totally freaked out, and didn't hesitate before reading it :D
And congrats on your scores! It sounded like you did very well. I love the way you show the fact that you are a christian in your everyday life, it really inspires me.
Talia, you are such an inspiring person. You love God, and with every post I can just see the beauty on Christ in you.
I love you so much, Talia. Don't ever change ♥

~Molly~
mollyslittlecorner.blogspot.com

Anonymous –   – (August 27, 2012 at 6:33 PM)  

Great job, talia! I guess it goes to show that it's never a bad thing to memorize scripture, and just think, all those verses will be able to help you in the years to come!
I will be praying for your friends family... Since the tornado that hit our town last year, I've been made more aware of situations like that and know how to pray for them. Your friends and everyone affected by this storm are in my prayers,
God bless upon Talia!!!

Haley

Amanda Fischer –   – (August 28, 2012 at 8:45 AM)  

I will be praying as well. I live in FL where hurricane Issac was supposed to hit, but didn't--and while I'm glad of that, I'm still going to pray for the cities and towns Issac will hit today. Hope they are okay!! :)

Anonymous –   – (August 28, 2012 at 8:52 AM)  

Dearest Talia,

What a wonderful testimony of the Lord's work! Just wanted to tell you that you are a blessing & encouragement to many today.

Hearing of your excitement and diligent digging in the Word gives evidence of an approved workman and sweet, fellow racer.

Continue the good race!

With love and prayers,
Mrs. McMahan

Kara Klarabelle Siert  – (August 28, 2012 at 4:48 PM)  

Congrats, dearie! I'm so excited you got the chance to do this!

Brooke  – (August 29, 2012 at 6:03 AM)  

I tagged you for the Liebster Award! Check my blog, Dreaming In Color, if you want to see it. Also, pass on the award if you'd like to!
P.s. I love your blog!

EMMA  – (August 29, 2012 at 2:14 PM)  

Great blog title! love your blog... I hope you will check out mine. http://emmavogelsang.blogspot.com/ . It is called Living Fully by Faith .


Emma

Anonymous –   – (September 21, 2012 at 5:46 PM)  

thanks for sharing.

Anonymous –   – (November 23, 2012 at 11:52 AM)  

Dear Talia,
I am a home schooled Bible Bee participant as well, except that this is my fourth year, and my third year making it to Nationals.
Keep up the good work!
Hannah T.
P.S. What division were you in?

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Just be sure to use your common sense and no bad language or comment topics, please. This is not to be mean, but to keep everyone safe! Any comments that do not go along these rules will be deleted before anyone else can view them. Please keep your words clean, pure, and pleasing to God!

etiquette and such

Girlz of God Copyright Talia DeAndrea 2010, 2011, 2012. "Genuine," "Girlz of God," and "Tania's Faith" book excerpts Copyright Talia DeAndrea 2010, 2011, 2012. All pictures Copyright Talia DeAndrea, unless otherwise noted. Please do not steal or copy anything on this blog without my permission. Thank you :-).

Header, button, and signature copyright Marieanne.

Shush template by Our Blog Templates.

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP