That Still, Soft Whisper

Lately, I've been neglecting my spiritual life. I've been blaming it on how busy we are, which I know is part of it, but for the most part, I know I am pretty lazy.

Sure, I've been praying. But they've been short and empty, like, "Please help me sleep well and enjoy my dinner and have a good day. Amen." Yeah. I know.

For the past couple of months, I've really wanted to get closer to God. In complete honesty, I really want to get closer to God. But I find myself putting off my time with Him and saying "I'll do it later," when really, my time with God should be my priority each and every day.

Two circumstances this week convicted me. One of which happened while my family was driving home from a trip. I was listening to my iPod and scrolling through my music, and I came to the song "I Refuse" by Josh Wilson. Talk about hard-hitting. It's like that song was made for me. Check it out:

Sometimes I, I just want to close my eyes
And act like everyone's alright
When I know they're not
This world needs God, but it's easier to stand and watch
I could pray a prayer and just move on
Like nothing's wrong

But I Refuse

I don't want to live like I don't care
I don't want to say another empty prayer
Oh, I refuse to sit around and wait for someone else
To do what God has called me to do myself
I could choose not to move
But I refuse

I can hear the least of these, crying out so desperately
And I know we are the hands and feet of You, oh God
So if You say move, it's time for me to follow through
And do what I was made to do
And show them who You are

I don't want to live like I don't care
I don't want to say another empty prayer
Oh, I refuse to sit around and wait for someone else
To do what God has called me to do myself
I could choose not to move
But I refuse

I refuse to stand and watch the weary and lost cry out for help
I refuse to turn my back and try and act like all is well
I refuse to stay unchanged, to wait another day to die to myself
I refuse to make one more excuse. (-I Refuse, Josh Wilson)

Yikes. Boy, does that song convict me. I listened to it and thought, "Wow, I really am lazy. I want to change the world, I want to pray earnestly and all the time, I want to get closer to God, but I haven't been putting in the time and effort." I've realized that I can't just ask God, "Please make me on fire for You," then continue living in sin. I need to surrender everything to God and make an effort to spend time with my Creator God.

The second circumstance that convicted me this week was a devotion by Susie Shellenberger I read a couple days ago. It talked about getting "in tune" to God's Voice. It talked about Elijah, and how God called him up on a mountain. While Elijah was up there, a bunch of stuff was going on  - a terrible blast, an earthquake, a fire...and none of those were God speaking to Elijah. So Elijah waited. And then he heard it: a soft whisper that was God's voice. God didn't speak to Elijah in the hubbub of everything going on around him; he spoke to Elijah in a soft whisper that I'm pretty sure Elijah wouldn't have heard if he hadn't been listening for it.

See where I'm going with this? Sometimes I ask God why He isn't speaking to me (at least, in my opinion) or showing Himself to me through circumstances in my life, and then I realize...Oh. I haven't been listening to Him. I've been too wrapped up in the busy-ness of life to focus on the Creator of life. I've been too focused with what I want to do to focus on what He wants me to do.

In order for me to grow in my faith and in my relationship with God, I need to put something into the relationship. For example, let's say I wanted to be friends with a rock. I spent time with this rock, talked to this rock, and cared for this rock. Obviously, the rock wouldn't talk back, wouldn't spend time with me, wouldn't care. It's not living; it's just a rock.

If I'm like a rock in my relationship with God, how can I expect our relationship to grow? I need to put something into the relationship if I want it to grow. I need to make spending time with God the number ONE priority of my day.

God's not going to shout directions in your face for what you should do with your life. He's not annoying or pesty. He's waiting for you to come to Him and give everything to Him. He's waiting for you to come to Him and listen to His still, soft whisper.


1 Kings 19:11-13
11 “Go out and stand before me on the mountain,” the Lord told him. And as Elijah stood there, the Lord passed by, and a mighty windstorm hit the mountain. It was such a terrible blast that the rocks were torn loose, but the Lord was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. 12 And after the earthquake there was a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire there was the sound of a gentle whisper. 13 When Elijah heard it, he wrapped his face in his cloak and went out and stood at the entrance of the cave.
And a voice said, “What are you doing here, Elijah?”

post signature

Brooke  – (May 13, 2012 at 7:46 PM)  

Wow. I feel like this post was for me. I am guilty of not having God as my priority. Thank you for helping me see how I am so wrong & motivating and inspiring me!:)

Anonymous –   – (May 14, 2012 at 5:07 AM)  

Thanks, Talia! I've been missing your devos lately! :) You did an AMAZING job on this! I think that we are all guilty at some point or another... some of us more than others. I usually have my Bible reading down to a habit of doing it daily, but still you can get into a "rut" and just read it to get it done... and then you don't glean anything from it. That is defintely me. So thanks for writing this... it is motivating me to make some changes!

So anyway, thanks. And I really loved the rock analogy. :)

-Haley

Molly  – (May 14, 2012 at 11:05 AM)  

Talia, this was exactly what I needed today. I often put many things before God, and then end up feeling completely empty, because I didn't spend time with God. You are an amazing young girl, and I want you to know that you really encouraged and inspired me through this today =D

~Molly~
mollyslittlecorner.blogspot.com

♥Lexi♥ –   – (May 14, 2012 at 2:37 PM)  

I too think this post was just for me, Talia! I haven't been spending time with God here lately like I need to. Like you said, I pray but it's just more of a routine than a priority. Thanks so much for posting this! It has really encouraged me to take a look at my own prayer life.:)
BTW I like that song! I also love that analogy!:)

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Just be sure to use your common sense and no bad language or comment topics, please. This is not to be mean, but to keep everyone safe! Any comments that do not go along these rules will be deleted before anyone else can view them. Please keep your words clean, pure, and pleasing to God!

etiquette and such

Girlz of God Copyright Talia DeAndrea 2010, 2011, 2012. "Genuine," "Girlz of God," and "Tania's Faith" book excerpts Copyright Talia DeAndrea 2010, 2011, 2012. All pictures Copyright Talia DeAndrea, unless otherwise noted. Please do not steal or copy anything on this blog without my permission. Thank you :-).

Header, button, and signature copyright Marieanne.

Shush template by Our Blog Templates.

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP