In Which I am Tired of In Whiches

Jocee and Anna did posts here and here on "finding your niche." But what exactly does that mean?

I've been slowly realizing that I am conforming and trying to be like other bloggers. Sure, you probably hear this a lot from other bloggers, but...really, I don't want to pretend to be someone I'm not.


I haven't deceived you in who I am. I mean, I tell you I love photography and writing, and that is absolutely true. I didn't just decide to grab a camera when I found out that was "the thing to do" in the blogging world. I liked photography and writing before I ever got on the blogging world...in fact, in a way, blogging is a good way for me to do BOTH of those things.


It seems to me like the whole "vintage" thing is big in the blog world. I haven't decided to like it because others do. It's simply not my thing.

But I have done small things on my blog that aren't me...things that I picked up from other blogs (you got it - the ones with gazillions of followers and bajillions of comments...we all envy them, don't we?). For example, I started beginning some of my post titles with "In Which." I never, ever did that before I got onto blogger.

I'm not saying that if somebody does something and you think it's cool and do it too that's flat-out wrong. What I'm saying is I was trying to get more followers, more comments, more stupid pageviews....more, more more...I know it's stupid. It sounds stupid to me as I'm typing this! I felt like I had to keep a balance of interesting, fun, and inspirational posts so that you would continue reading...follow...comment...but my posts should come from my heart always, and I shouldn't feel like I need to up the amount of inspirational posts because another blog is filled with them. No.
I've decided that my blog design isn't me. Sure, I really like it, but...it's not me. The lowercase letters on the sidebar? Not me. I like proper grammar and capitalization just fine, thanks. (I should practice, too, since I want to BE a writer ☺. Hehe) It's really a pretty design, but it's a bit too vintage-y for my liking. However, the typewriter on the header...love it. LOL!

So here's the dealio. A girl who starts her posts with "In Which" (minus this one, haha) is not me. I am a girl who really loves to write and take pictures, who loves to stay up late reading in bed, who loves pretty ball gowns and fancy fingernails, who is not a fan of Adele or Justin Bieber or Selena Gomez, who goes into the bathroom to sing just because it has good acoustics, who got scared of the old Star Trek TV show when she was about seven, who reads old letters over and over and cherishes precious memories. That's me.


I've found my "niche." Have you?
Photobucket

Anna Gray  – (April 14, 2012 at 7:56 PM)  

Yes! So happy for you for finding your niche. That is such a key thing in the blogging world -- and it definitely is NOT easy to do. It takes so much patience and prayer. I really am thrilled that you found yours. This was written beautifully!

Molly  – (April 15, 2012 at 5:37 AM)  

YES!! This is just what I needed today. I just recently redid my blog design, because I felt it wasn't me, and I changed it to something more "me". Anyway, I have been obsessed with being like other blogs lately, especially the ones with over a thousand readers, and this post was just was gave me the encouragement to just be myself on my blog. I have been trying to do that lately, but yesterday I started to rethink it, but this post was just what brought me back up. So I really just want to say Thank You.

~Molly~

Mikaylah H.  – (April 15, 2012 at 11:54 AM)  

Love this! This is so true, girl! You encouraged me not to envy your blog and many followers! :) LOL! You are so inspiring!!

Jocee  – (April 15, 2012 at 4:18 PM)  

i'm so proud of you! good for you, talia. seriously good for you. but you don't like adele? i die. i die.
-jocee <3

Luv2sing333  – (April 16, 2012 at 5:20 PM)  

WOW! One of my favorite posts ever:) You are so real so true and I need to follow your advice. Sometimes I forget that blogging is for me not to please readers or not for any other purpose but as a personal journal and a place to share my faith with others:) Thanks for being such a wonderful blogger

Kara "Klarabelle" Siert  – (April 19, 2012 at 4:40 PM)  

Hi Talia!
I really like your new blog design (especially the ukulele!). It is very cool. I know exactly what you mean about wanting to be like other people...I went to the craft store the other day which had a bunch of different styles of room decor and kept talking about each one, trying to decide how I want my room to be...but thanks for encouraging us to find our niche and not to conform to popular styles or ideas! Okay anyway, moving on (this comment no longer makes sense) I LIKE TO GO INTO THE BATHROOM AND SING, TOO! I bring my ukulele with me. Star Trek still scares me. I don't like those singers either. I like to stay up and read books (although the aftermath of it can be disturbing). Anyway, I wanted to say, I love you! And I'm proud of you! And you're amazing! And we have a lot in common, but we're both our own unique people! And...I'm done now.

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Just be sure to use your common sense and no bad language or comment topics, please. This is not to be mean, but to keep everyone safe! Any comments that do not go along these rules will be deleted before anyone else can view them. Please keep your words clean, pure, and pleasing to God!

etiquette and such

Girlz of God Copyright Talia DeAndrea 2010, 2011, 2012. "Genuine," "Girlz of God," and "Tania's Faith" book excerpts Copyright Talia DeAndrea 2010, 2011, 2012. All pictures Copyright Talia DeAndrea, unless otherwise noted. Please do not steal or copy anything on this blog without my permission. Thank you :-).

Header, button, and signature copyright Marieanne.

Shush template by Our Blog Templates.

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP