Girlz Like You Interview: Sarah N., 15











This is one of my favorite interviews. Sarah is such a godly young woman, and she constantly inspires, encourages, and motivates me! I got the privilege to meet her in person in September. I am proud to call her one of my best friends in the whole world! I hope that you too are inspired, encouraged, and motivated by this interview.

(Check out more Girlz Like You interviews HERE)


Tell us a little bit about yourself.
I am a teenage girl who loves Jesus. I am the oldest of six kids, and we are all homeschooled. I’m 15 and in 10th grade. I have been an entrepreneur since I was 12 making hair bows and selling them to family, friends, and local stores. 

What are some of your hobbies?
I really enjoy reading, running (most of the time), chatting and skyping with friends, and making hair bows and other miscellaneous stuff which I sell for my business, Beau-Nanza.

When did you get saved?
I was saved when I was 5. We were riding in the car on the way to a Bible camp. I remember that the song “Nothing But the Blood of Jesus” was playing on our kid’s CD. I don’t remember a ton, but my parents said I asked a bunch of questions about what the song meant, and I guess it touched my heart because I prayed right there and then in the back seat to ask Jesus to forgive me of all my sins.

What is one thing that God has taught you in 2011?
God has taught me to wait on Him. There are many things I would like to do, and some of them, I can’t wait until I do them. But God says wait. It’s very hard, but I know it’s for the best.

What are some of your goals for the new year?
My goals for the new year....hmmm....I really don’t like making “resolutions” because by the end of February, they are fading away. So, I just want to be more Christlike and read my Bible more. Those are two things that I am really struggling with.

What is your favorite thing about God?
Wow, it’s hard to pick just one! One of my favorite things about God has to be that He is always there for me. No matter if no one in this world cares, or if I’m feeling all alone, God is there, He cares, and He comforts. This really helped me when my mom, sister, and best friend were all in the hospital in pretty bad situations within a week or so of another.

What is your favorite way to serve God?
I went to a camp last summer, and I hoping to go again this summer. This camp is called Christian Youth in Action, or CYIA for short. CYIA is a camp that teaches teens to share the gospel through 5-day clubs for 5-12 year olds. Then during the summer, we put on the 5-day clubs. It was a really great experience, and it showed me that I want to go into missions teaching kids.

Tell us about your newsletter, the Mission Mag.Mission Mag started because some little girl (me ;)) decided she was going to do something big. It started as a little newsletter with no name that was like the family newspaper and told all about what our family did. This newsletter only went out to immediate family and a few other family members. It then grew into a Christian kids' newsletter called “The Christian Kids Club” after I started getting a friend’s newsletter, “The Christian Girls Club”. Yes, I pretty much stole her name. That’s why a couple months ago, I held a contest to change the name. One of my readers sent in “Mission Mag," and I liked it, so thus, it became the new name. :) I have really enjoyed making Mission Mag. It has taught me a lot about writing, editing, and working with other people.

What is your main goal for the Mission Mag?
My main goal is probably to show kids and teens the true love of Jesus, have them accept Him, and to grow into a deeper relationship with Him. If one person is impacted through Mission Mag, the newsletter has done it’s job.

Do you believe that it is God's calling for you to do Mission Mag? Why?
At first I wasn’t sure, but it must be because we have been SOOOOOO close to shuting down a ton of times because of lack of submissions, and then all of a sudden, it was like the floodgates were rushing open! Even if it’s not God’s will for me to continue for much longer, I have learned a ton through this experience, and I wouldn’t trade it for anything.

What is your favorite Bible verse(s) and why?
One of my favorite Bible verses is Ecclesiastes 4:9-10, which says, "Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labour. For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe to him that is alone when he falleth; for he hath not another to help him up."

This verse shows us that we need to choose godly, encouraging friends. I found these verses last summer while I participated in the 2011 National Bible Bee Competition. To understand why this verse is so special to me, you should probably know a little more about the Bible Bee. The Bible Bee is a Bible memory competition. This year my age group (ages 15-18) had to memorize 800 verses and do an in-depth Bible Study of 1 Peter including knowledge of the greek words, their meanings, and cross-references for them during a 12 week period during the summer. After the 12 weeks, there was a competition day. This seems like an impossible challenge to most people. To me, it nearly was, but I was ready to undertake it. Now lets fast forward a couple weeks into the whole process. I was beginning to realize how much they had put on my plate. But, because I found a great group of teens that were also doing the Bible Bee, we all encouraged each other and kept each other going

By the 10th or 11th week, I was getting really discouraged and ready to give up. But because I had friends encouraging me, I persevered, and went through with it. I did not memorize all 800 verses - not even close! But, I did finish stronger and am more Christlike than I was at the beginning of the summer. If I did not have others to help me up when I fell just as the verses say, I probably would've given up by the 6th or so week. Through God's grace, and the company of amazing friends, I made it through all 12 weeks.

When I was memorizing my verses for Bible Bee, I came across Ecclesiastes 4:9-10. When I saw the content of the verses, I was so encouraged because I knew that is why I hadn't given up on this amazing challenge. This is why we need to choose our friends wisely.

Who is your #1 inspiration?
Ahhh! I hate questions that you have to pick one thing or one person! :P I don’t have a #1, so I’ll just tell you my couple people who I look up to.

My Dad - My Dad is amazing. He has gone through so much, and He loves the Lord with all his heart. He keeps me grounded. He reveals my mistakes, even when I don’t want him to. He loves God, and he loves his family.

My Mom - She is such a godly lady. I can talk to her about anything. She does an amazing job raising us and homeschooling us.

My Mom’s two friends, Ms Kim and Ms Julie - They are second moms to me. They are grounded firmly in the Lord, and I wish that I could even have a portion of their love for the Lord.

My best friend since practically birth, Ruth - She is the best friend anyone could ever ask for. We have had many adventures together, and she loves Jesus with all her heart.

My best friends, Talia, Kara, and Brydon - I was praying for godly friends, and God just placed you all into my life. I don’t know where I would be without you all, and I thank God everyday for you guys.

What is your view on modesty?
Modesty is very important to me. Why would I want to show all that off anyway? I think we should totally be modest and save ourselves for our future husbands.

What is your view on purity?
This piggybacks off my last answer. Purity is big. It is also something I struggle with. I am totally for it, but my fleshly desires kick in, and it gets hard. I really think we need to be totally pure, not just outwardly, but inwardly as well. We need to guard our thoughts from evil, not just our bodies. Something I ask God for pretty much everyday is that He would keep my thoughts pure. If we ask, He’ll listen and help us (Jer 29:12-13).

What is your view on courtship?
I am all for courtship. I have already announced to my parents that I do NOT want to date, I want to court. Courtship takes a lot. I mean, you can’t just go out with any old guy. The only guy I’m going out with is the one I KNOW I’m gonna marry. And my Dad will get to know him really well before I do. And (this is a funny thing I want for my courtship) he must get along with my brothers (they’re very hard to get along with :P). But yeah, I think courtship is a great idea.

Are you waiting for God to bring the right man into your life? Explain why or why not.
Yes. Period. I don’t get how people could go from one person to another. At one point, you’re good friends, then you're bf and gf, then you’re worst enemies. Basically, dating just ruins friendships. I’d rather keep it where we are good friends. It’s really hard to wait, though. Sometimes I get jealous of my friends who have boyfriends, and I wish I had one too, but I have to keep reminding myself why I am saving myself. And that’s why I’m waiting. To give my husband my FULL heart. Not just the little that’s left over at the end of my dating career. :P

Do you have any advice for girls about faith, friends, and life?
Find a Bible reading plan and do it with your friends. Accountability is the best way I’ve found to stay doing something (Ecc 4:9-10). Pick good friends. Sometimes you have to let friends go that are dragging you down. Try to witness to them, but if you find yourself being dragged down instead of them being lifted up, sometimes it’s not worth it. I have found this out already the hard way. Just keep loving Jesus and everything else will fall into place.

Thank you so much for doing this interview for us, Sarah!

Anonymous –   – (February 25, 2012 at 8:05 AM)  

Thanks so much for this, I love it when I know there are more young teenage girls out there that love God... :)

Nicole  – (February 25, 2012 at 9:38 AM)  

Wonderful!! Thanks again, Talia, I really enjoyed reading this - I haven't even read the whole thing yet (don't have time now, but I'll try later), but I wanted to say that I did the Bible Bee as well, and I totally know what you mean, Sarah, about wanting to give up!! Oh, it gets so tough when you start to focus on how much you have to do and start comparing yourself to all of the other people doing it (especially those little kids who rattle off a ton of passages and you have, uh, two :D). But I'm really excited about this upcoming summer and I'm going to really try to definitely focus on the main point of the Bible Bee - to memorize God's Holy Word. It's amazing, and I'm so glad to be part of it!

Anyway. Sorry for rambling (I think I said that on my last comment...oops ;D). Thanks again!! <3

Sarah  – (February 25, 2012 at 10:22 AM)  

Hey guys! Thanks so much for the comments! <3 It means a lot.

Nicole, that's awesome that you did BB! How did you like 1 Peter? I fell in love with studying it. ;) BB tends to do that to you. :P

Love you all! <3

Kara "Klarabelle" Siert  – (February 25, 2012 at 9:26 PM)  

What a great idea to interview Sarah, Talia! Those are some great questions.

Sarah, you did a great job answering. I appreciate your clarity and honesty. It's so encouraging to hear from other girls that have the same views I do.

Thanks so much, both of you!

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Just be sure to use your common sense and no bad language or comment topics, please. This is not to be mean, but to keep everyone safe! Any comments that do not go along these rules will be deleted before anyone else can view them. Please keep your words clean, pure, and pleasing to God!

etiquette and such

Girlz of God Copyright Talia DeAndrea 2010, 2011, 2012. "Genuine," "Girlz of God," and "Tania's Faith" book excerpts Copyright Talia DeAndrea 2010, 2011, 2012. All pictures Copyright Talia DeAndrea, unless otherwise noted. Please do not steal or copy anything on this blog without my permission. Thank you :-).

Header, button, and signature copyright Marieanne.

Shush template by Our Blog Templates.

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP