Genuine Excerpt

Today I was reading over a bit of my novel that I wrote during NaNoWriMo 2011, Genuine. I don't think I'm gonna publish the book or anything, but I thought I'd let y'all read a small excerpt.

Genuine Excerpt, Copyright © Talia DeAndrea 2011, 2012

HAWAII DREAMER

Subject: Book Covers and Masks


Ever heard the term, “Don't judge a book by its cover”? I don't know about you, but sometimes I pick up a book off the library shelf, see its hideous cover, and quickly place it back. But then my mother forces me to read said book for school, and it turns out to be the best book I've ever read.

I often feel like a book cover. No, I don't feel like a literal book cover, but in an allegorical sense I do. I feel like who I am on the outside – my cover – is so different from who I am on the inside – the pages. I'm the type of girl that people think they've got pinned. They think they know everything about me – they think they know who I am. But, in truth, they don't. No one does. And that's the way I want it. Because if they knew who I am and how lonely I really am, they'd try to fix it...fix me. And I don't think anyone can fix my loneliness. So why should they try, and why should I let them try?

True, I have friends. Not many, but the few I have are good friends. But sometimes they are so clueless to the fact that I wear a mask. No, the quiet, shy, not-very-smart girl they like to hang with isn't really who I am. I'm really a girl who's bursting with creativity, who's really smart, and is dying to say what she believes. But I'm scared to tell anyone that that's more me than the “me” they see and think they know. Does that make sense? I'm scared because I can never be myself around them, and they'll be disappointed in me. I'm scared of what they'll think of me. I'm scared of what I'll think of me once my “secret identity” is out. I'm scared that they'll be super angry that I lied to them for so long. I'm scared that I will feel even more “not good enough” than I do now.

I'm sorry this post is a vent-post, but I needed to get it out somewhere that's safe. And Hawaii Dreamer is about the only place that is.

**IMPORTANT NOTE: there was some confusion. Just to be clear, Gwen is a completely different person from me, and this is written from her point of view, not mine. I have the best family, friends, and GOD in the world, and I know where my worth comes from :-) (Gwen doesn't figure out where her worth comes from until later in the book). Sorry for any confusion**
What do you think? Check out my NaNoWriMo profile here.
Photobucket

Trinka  – (January 25, 2012 at 1:00 PM)  

Oh, this is pretty cool! Is it supposed to be told through blog posts?

Godsgirlz1  – (January 25, 2012 at 1:11 PM)  

I like it Talia. Its really good.

♥Lexi♥ –   – (January 25, 2012 at 2:23 PM)  

That's really awesome, Talia! You're a wonderful writer!!

Talia  – (January 26, 2012 at 9:20 AM)  

Trinka, the main character, Gwen, has a blog Hawaii Dreamer, that she posts on often. Although most of the story is not told thru blog posts, there are a few in there :-).

Godsgirlz1, Lexi, thank you :).

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Just be sure to use your common sense and no bad language or comment topics, please. This is not to be mean, but to keep everyone safe! Any comments that do not go along these rules will be deleted before anyone else can view them. Please keep your words clean, pure, and pleasing to God!

etiquette and such

Girlz of God Copyright Talia DeAndrea 2010, 2011, 2012. "Genuine," "Girlz of God," and "Tania's Faith" book excerpts Copyright Talia DeAndrea 2010, 2011, 2012. All pictures Copyright Talia DeAndrea, unless otherwise noted. Please do not steal or copy anything on this blog without my permission. Thank you :-).

Header, button, and signature copyright Marieanne.

Shush template by Our Blog Templates.

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP