Follow-Up Excerpt

If any of you read this post, it may have seened a bit down-ish. True, that is how the main character (Gwen) is at the beginning of the story, but I don't want to make you think that the whole story is like that. SO...here is another excerpt :-).


Genuine Excerpt Copyright Talia DeAndrea 2011, 2012


I pulled out my treasured journal with tattered pages that smelled the way only old books could smell. I pressed my nose to the cover and inhaled the glorious aroma. I held it at a glance and observed the front cover. Hmm. Not as colorful as it once had been, but definitely loved. This journal was like an old friend. I gently opened the big book, which had been my companion for many years, and turned to a blank page.


Tuesday, November 8th, 2011

Dear Journal,

Even though I've tried to occupy my mind with other thoughts and musings, Bible Study this morning persistently tugs at my thoughts and tries to grab my attention. I can't stop thinking about what Mitch read from the Bible: “For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive in the Spirit.”
I'd had to look up the verse to make sure I got it right.


Debbie described it in a way I'd never thought of before. She said that Jesus died so that we could be saved, or something like that. But that's what I don't get. Why would Jesus die for me? Because I'd be the first to admit that I'm not perfect, and I know there are so many people in the world who do really bad stuff – like murdering, cheating, and whatever that one sin is where somebody leaves their wife or husband for somebody else. I admit that I fight with my siblings more than I ought to. And I admit that I do lie sometimes, and I have cheated occasionally, and I know my thoughts are not always good – is that counted as a “sin”? Now, Journal, I'm not saying that I'm a Christian or anything, because I'm definitely not. Christians are so...so...hypocritical. It's just that I'm confused. I'm searching...searching for answers. And so far I haven't found any. I guess I'll just have to watch and listen hard at Bible Study tomorrow.
Sincerely,

Gwen


I closed my treasured journal and put it back on the shelf. I wouldn't call it a “Place of Honor,” but hopefully Aaron wouldn't suspect that I would keep it in plain sight with my other books. On the very shelf I kept my journal were a few of my favorite reads – Pride and Prejudice, The Hobbit, and Lord of the Rings, plus Alex Rider, which I'd gotten for my birthday but Mom had never let me read because it had language in it.

That very minute, Mom called my name loudly from the kitchen. “Gwen! Come here! Good news!” Oh, no. Mom's idea of good news usually wasn't the same as my idea of good news. I took my sweet time getting to the kitchen. “Yeah, Mom?” I said. “What's the news?” Mom grinned. “The cousins are coming!” she said. My heart felt like it was beating against my chest. “Which cousins?” Mom smiled. “Who else? The Phillips.” Images of practical jokes, teasing, and harassment fogged my thoughts. This can't be happening, I thought in disbelief. What I wrote about in my book is happening to me! Keisha – my brat cousin – is coming!


Genuine, a Summary:
Meet Gwen Washington. She's an average 14-year-old going through the motions of everyday life. But what her family and friends don't see is that underneath the surface she's feeling lonely - like no one understands her. When a bunch of new groups are started at school, Gwen's mom signs her up for one - much to the dislike of Gwen. The group turns out to be really great and fun, and Gwen is finally feeling like she belongs somewhere. But when her snooty cousin comes to stay with her family, she starts stealing - or messing up - everything that belongs to Gwen. After a terrible accident strikes her family, Gwen will have to put into perspective what really matters, who God is, who SHE is, and who God created her to be.
Photobucket

Cindi  – (January 27, 2012 at 8:45 PM)  

Did you write this? It was the most beautiful thing ever. I am simply in love with it. It is so cool what you are doing here at this blog. Shining the Lords light. Just amazing. :))

Cindi

Talia  – (January 27, 2012 at 10:47 PM)  

Wow, thank you so much! I am glad that God is shining out through my writing!

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Just be sure to use your common sense and no bad language or comment topics, please. This is not to be mean, but to keep everyone safe! Any comments that do not go along these rules will be deleted before anyone else can view them. Please keep your words clean, pure, and pleasing to God!

etiquette and such

Girlz of God Copyright Talia DeAndrea 2010, 2011, 2012. "Genuine," "Girlz of God," and "Tania's Faith" book excerpts Copyright Talia DeAndrea 2010, 2011, 2012. All pictures Copyright Talia DeAndrea, unless otherwise noted. Please do not steal or copy anything on this blog without my permission. Thank you :-).

Header, button, and signature copyright Marieanne.

Shush template by Our Blog Templates.

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP