Girlz Like You Interview: Haley S.

I've decided upon starting a new page on the blog - Girlz Like You. This will feature articles about "girlz like you," along with interviews, etc. (please don't ask to be interviewed. If you think your story is worth featuring, contact me at girlzofgod(at)gmail(.)com, and we'll see :-)).

For the first interview, Haley S., age 15, has generously agreed to do this interview for us! Thanks so much, Haley!

Haley is the author of a Christian e-newsletter, Girl Talk, that encourages, convicts, and inspires girls.
For this interview, Haley talks about her newsletter and faith in God.


When did you get saved?
 I accepted Jesus as my Savior when I was about five or six.  I honestly don't remember much about it!  Since then, I have really come into a deeper understanding of what Jesus really did for me on the cross.  I was able to dedicate my life to Him when I was 13 at Bible camp, and while I most definitely have not been perfect, I am trying to live for Him.

 What is one thing that God has taught you in 2011?
Wow... that's a hard one.  I guess it would all come down to trusting God, in various issues... like in friendships, in my future, in lots of different ways!  I have learned (or rather, am still learning...) that I need to be completely devoted to Him, to trust Him, and to follow Him.

Tell us about your newsletter, Girl Talk. 
Well... ever since I was little, it was kind of a dream of mine to make a "real" magazine.  When I was twelve, I began talking to my mom about the possibility of creating a little Christian girls' news-letter that I could send to my friends.  That was almost four years ago, and Girl Talk is now an e-magazine, or e-letter (whatever you want to call it) and has grown hugely since 2008!

I absolutely love to write, so Girl Talk is kind of my chance to "publish" my articles and devotions, which has helped me grow spiritually and exercise my writing abilities.  I would love to publish a devotional or Bible Study book for teen girls or women someday, but for now I love writing about things God is teaching me and things I read in the Bible.

I also now have around ten girls on the Girl Talk "writing team" who contribute articles and stories for Girl Talk.  I believe that since we're all girls, we can really relate to the readers.   Because of that, we can write about the things we as girls deal with and encourage other Christian girls to follow the Lord.

 What is your main goal for your newsletter? 
The goal in the e-letter is this: "To glorify God through the writings and photography published in Girl Talk, and to encourage, convict, and strengthen Christian girls in Christ."  But in my own words, I would say that my goal is that the things I write (and that my fellow writers write) would be pleasing to God.  And I also really want other girls to be able to look at what I write and be able to learn from it, to be able to use it to strengthen their walk with Christ.  Also, while most of the readers are Christians, I always pray that someone would come to the saving knowledge of Jesus Christ through Girl Talk.  That would be the coolest thing ever, if someone told me that they found God through my newsletter!

If you could describe your writing as a food, which food would you pick? 
Probably as a cupcake... There are so many variations, but no matter what cake mix you use or frosting you decorate it with, it's still a cupcake.  In the same way, I like to experiment with different writing styles and topics, but I always want my writing to have the same goal: to point to Jesus.  :)

 What do you want to be when you grow up? 
That is a pretty hard question.  I've always said that I want to be a writer, and that hasn't changed.  I really want to write, especially Bible studies and such.  But I also want to be open to whatever God wants me to do, especially because I'm missions-minded.  And another thing I'm considering is maybe doing something in the medical field, like nursing.  But we'll see - it's all in God's plan!

How are you changing the world for God in your everyday life?
Good question... it really made me think.  I would like to think that I am doing something to make a difference when I do Girl Talk.  I also really love working with kids, so I'm very involved in our church's kid's programs, like AWANA, Sunday school, VBS, etc.  God has really been working with all of the programs, especially outreaches like AWANA, because we've been having record turnouts these past few years.  It's really amazing to be able to work with some of these kids, teach them about Jesus, and witness to them.

What do you do when times get tough? 
Well, what I SHOULD do is pray and lean on God.  :)  Unfortunately, that's not the first thing I always do.  Amazingly, whenever I get "down" and depressed, God always uses something to bring me back to Him.  There are several passages in the Bible that God has really used tremendously in times like that... especially in the Psalms.  Some of those passages are Psalm 4, Psalm 46, and Psalm 57.  They're personal to me because I can read them over and remember some of the darkest times in my life, and how God used these verses to help me.

Who is your #1 inspiration? 
Wow... I really don't know if I can say!!  Of course, definitely Jesus.  :) And then there are my parents.  My dad is a pastor and I have learned so much from him... like humbleness, keeping God a priority above all else, etc.  And I've learned a whole lot from my mom, too.  She is the kind of person I want to be like when I'm an adult.  And I've also learned a lot from different characters in the Bible, such as Esther and Paul.  :-)

What is your view on modesty?
I think that modesty is very important.  I really think that we girls should make dressing to glorify God a priority over dressing to glorify ourselves.  However, as Christians we can sometimes use it in a wrong way.  I see plenty of times when Christian girls judge one another or have conflicts with each other due to how each other is dressed... because everyone thinks they're right and the other person is wrong!  Everyone has different modesty convictions, and that doesn't mean that one is right above another.  HOWEVER, you have to be careful that your convictions are just that: a conviction.  You can't use it as an excuse to dress inappropriately.

To girls: we're also at a really tough time in our lives when we're trying to decide "who we are" and when we need to deal with peer pressure, bullying, and things like that.  I know from experience... it can be hard to decide if an outfit is immodest, if our jeans are "too tight", or if a dress is OK or not, especially if we really want to wear it or fit in.  Because of that, God has given us people like our moms who can help us choose what is appropriate and what's not.  Yes, sometimes they have to lay down the law, but right now when you're under your parents' authority, respect their standards.  As you grow physically, emotionally, and spiritually, God will give you your own convictions.

What is your view on purity and courtship?
 
Well... I think that purity, first of all, is very, very important... physical purity and mental purity.  First of all, we should glorify God with our bodies (see 1 Corinthians 6:19-20) and we should also keep our minds COMPLETELY focused on God (not on boys, inappropriate images, etc.) as it says in 1 Corinthians 7:32-34.  As for courtship, it kind of depends on how you define it.  I guess whatever you/your family chooses to do (courtship or dating), the most important thing that matters is that you have high moral standards and seek God's will in it.

 Do you have any advice for girls about faith, friends, or life? 
Yes I do.  :)  First of all, I really want to encourage girls to read and STUDY their Bibles.  It's really the best thing you can do for yourself (even if it doesn't seem like it!).  Reading your Bible doesn't make bad things go away or anything but it will help us get direction in life, find answers to our problems and questions, and give us peace, hope, and assurance.  God gave us His Word, the Bible, and the Holy Spirit to help and direct Christians in their walk with Him.

And about friends...  A little piece of advice that I have been learning to follow is to always, always, always pray for your friends.  I've found that when I get upset/annoyed/mad at my friends, it's at a time when I haven't been praying for them.  Praying for your friend doesn't automatically make the relationship OK, but it helps you look at things from a different point of view (a Godly one).  And, keep Christ the center of your friendships.  The friendships that I've grown most from are the ones in which my friend and I both try to keep Christ the focus of our relationship.

And with life, well, you can always trust God with whatever He's doing or is planning to do with your life.  Jump on board and go with the ride... it's really quite exciting to see the places you'll go and things you'll do if you let Jesus take the wheel!!

Melody  – (November 27, 2011 at 3:31 PM)  

Thanks Talia for posting! Haley was very encouraging! I think everyone should study there Bibles. I think it is very important to memorize your Bible also!

Jazzie.  – (November 28, 2011 at 11:12 AM)  

I LOVE this! I can not wait to read more from this new "series".
It is so amazing how much you actually use the Bible verses you memorize in every day life.
God bless you, sweet girl!
Jazzie

GJFH –   – (November 29, 2011 at 12:51 PM)  

Love the idea for Girlz Like You!

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Just be sure to use your common sense and no bad language or comment topics, please. This is not to be mean, but to keep everyone safe! Any comments that do not go along these rules will be deleted before anyone else can view them. Please keep your words clean, pure, and pleasing to God!

etiquette and such

Girlz of God Copyright Talia DeAndrea 2010, 2011, 2012. "Genuine," "Girlz of God," and "Tania's Faith" book excerpts Copyright Talia DeAndrea 2010, 2011, 2012. All pictures Copyright Talia DeAndrea, unless otherwise noted. Please do not steal or copy anything on this blog without my permission. Thank you :-).

Header, button, and signature copyright Marieanne.

Shush template by Our Blog Templates.

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP