Am I Truly Thankful?



As Thanksgiving approaches each year, the question often gets presented,

"What are you thankful for?"

I automatically answer (or think), "Family, friends, home, food." But I think it's just that...automatic. I don't really pause to think about why I am thankful for these things and people. It's just the typical answer.










(via)

Today at church our youth pastor asked us what we are thankul for in certain contexts - like school, friends, and family. And this year, I'd like to break the routine of "I'm thankful for my friends, family, and my house." It's great to be thankful for those things, but when it becomes a routine, we really need to pause and think about our motives behind our thanks.

So here's a little "challenge" for you. Grab this button if you want, link up, and post at least five things in each topic you are thankful for and why (this is important). Don't just say, "Pie, turkey, and family," and call it good. Really be thankful and think about why you are.

Here are the topics (erase my answers and put in your own when reposting, obviously).

Photobucket





The True Thanks Challenge

Family
1. I'm thankful that my family was able to adopt my little sister and that we are able to adopt a little boy, because God adopts us as His children, and it is a blessing to be able to help children, and I couldn't imagine living without them.
2. I am thankful that I have been and am being raised in a Christian home because it has truly strengthened my faith in Christ, and my parents were the ones who led me to Christ!
3. I am thankful for my siblings, even though we fight, because they are all so special to me, and I couldn't imagine not being their sister! They're a blessing.
4. I'm thankful for the good times I have with my family, because they are so fun and we can all laugh together!
5. I am thankful for my parents because even though they're not perfect they're still really good parents, and I can talk to them, and they are there for me.

Friends
1. I am thankful for my friends because I know a lot of kids don't have really good friends, so I know I'm blessed, and I want to be a friend to the friendless.
2. I am thankful for my friends who uplift me in Christ, because they are so encouraging and they are a blessing!
3. I am thankful for the laughs as well as tears I've had with my friends, because both can be beautiful and cherished. Campfire at camp this year was one of the most beautiful moments of my life. And those tears shared with friends were sacred.
4. I am thankful for my goofiness with my friends, because laughing is good for you!
5. I am thankful for friends who are honest with me, because I feel like I can trust them, or that they won't lie to me.

School
1. I am thankful thta in my school (homeschool) I have freedom of religion because without God I don't know what I'd do. I'd be a mess and a wreck. And it's a blessing to be able to talk freely about God in my school.
2. I am thankful to be homeschooled because we have flexible schedules, get done with school quick, don't have to deal with some of the same dramas from public school, and SOMETIMES get to wear our pj's to school :-).
3. I'm thankful for my mom teaching school to us, because I know it must take patience to teach us, and she has and is doing a great job of teaching us :-).
4. I am thankful for days off of school because they are nice breaks :-).
5. I am thankful that we are blessed with education, like so many people are not, because we just really are blessed and need to be thankful for education.

Belongings
1. I am thankful for my home, because many people don't have homes.
2. I am thankful for my bed, because many people don't have beds either, and that is a blessing, too.
3. I am thankful for my Bible, because without it I would not know much about God, and it is full of encouragement, conviction, inspiring words, and stories, all from which we can learn greatly from.
4. I am thankful for my clothing items which have crosses on them, or Bible verses or Christian phrases, because in many other places that is illegal, and I know I am blessed to be able to wear those things freely and share my faith (as a "walking billboard" :-)). 
5. I am thankful for the telephone and computer so I can post on Girlz of God and keep in contact with people, because I know that is a blessings as well.

God
1. I am thankful that God is merciful and compassionate, because even though I don't talk to him or do my devotions for periods of time, and I feel distant from God, when I come back to Him, His arms are always open.
2. I am thankful that God created us and gave us breath and life, because life is truly beautiful, and God didn't have to create us, but He did!
3. I'm thankful that God sent His one and only Son, Jesus, to die on the cross for our sins, because He could've just let us go to hell and be separated from Him forever...but He didn't. And that's truly amazing and thank-worthy.
4. I am thankful that God chose us as His children and adopted us into His family. He didn't have to do that, either, but He did, because He loves us.
5. I am thankful that God is understanding, because when other people don't get me, God always does, and He's there with His arms wide open.

Now it's your turn. And even if you don't do the "True Thanks Challenge," tell God what you are thankful for and why. We have so much more to be thankful for than we do to pout about!

Have a happy Thanksgiving!
Photobucket

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Just be sure to use your common sense and no bad language or comment topics, please. This is not to be mean, but to keep everyone safe! Any comments that do not go along these rules will be deleted before anyone else can view them. Please keep your words clean, pure, and pleasing to God!

etiquette and such

Girlz of God Copyright Talia DeAndrea 2010, 2011, 2012. "Genuine," "Girlz of God," and "Tania's Faith" book excerpts Copyright Talia DeAndrea 2010, 2011, 2012. All pictures Copyright Talia DeAndrea, unless otherwise noted. Please do not steal or copy anything on this blog without my permission. Thank you :-).

Header, button, and signature copyright Marieanne.

Shush template by Our Blog Templates.

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP