My Camp Experience (in Depth)

This post is also an article I wrote for Peacherino Monthly.


I’d like to share something with you – something that happened to me…and changed my life.
It started at church camp. It was the last night – campfire night. We all sat around the fire, and our youth pastor told us to be quiet and look at the fire and just think about the week – what we’d learned, what God had showed us during the sessions and our quiet times. After that, we did worship, and I began to cry. I wrapped my arms around myself as I shivered. Sure, I was physically cold, but my heart and soul were warm. It was like God Himself was wrapping His loving arms around me. When we started singing "Grace Like Rain," something happened inside me. "Amazing Grace" is a song that touches my heart like almost no other song does. I prayed as I sang and thanked God for being so good and always being there for me, even when I neglect Him – which I do so, so much. My heart was filled with joy as I cried.

After worship, our youth pastor told us his testimony, which was really amazing. Then he opened it up for anyone to share what they had learned that week, what God had taught them and showed them through the sessions and our quiet times. To my pleasant surprise, a lot of boys talked about what they had learned, followed by a couple of girls. When my friend told her testimony, I cried again. It kept going through my head that God is so amazing.

After that, our youth pastor held a light-up disk and said to pass it to someone and say something about them or to them. I cried during part of this, too. What people said to me and about me touched my heart, and what people said to others touched my heart. One boy who used to be a goof-off had been listening closely and seriously taking notes during the sessions. I cried as people said that they were proud of them, that they could tell he was taking it seriously. One of our pastors had the disk, and he gave it to a boy who goofs off a lot and gets in trouble a lot. He said, "I see a lot of potential in you, but I don’t think you see it in yourself. I don’t think you know how much Christ loves you." I agree completely with what he said. It was an amazing moment.

So, in closing, the night was amazing and the week was amazing. It wasn’t just a "camp high." It was real. God is real. God is amazing. And His love is real. And that week, I learned that if I want God to use me for His glory and His purpose, I need to be willing to say, "I will follow you," even though I don’t know where He will take me, even though it will most likely be outside my comfort zone, even though it will be hard. God says that it won’t be easy – it’ll be hard. But He promises to be with us the whole way if we trust in Him. And that week I was reminded of just how amazing God is, how amazing His salvation is, and how amazing grace is.

Photobucket

Emily  – (August 16, 2011 at 5:43 PM)  

Great post. I had a lot of those quiet time expieriences during my missions trip....

Bookworm  – (August 17, 2011 at 2:08 PM)  

Have not talked to you in awhile. I miss you! Glad that camp went well for you. I also went to an amazing Christian camp this summer. God is awesome!

Lexi  – (August 17, 2011 at 2:10 PM)  

That is so awesome about your camp:) God is SO amazing!

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Just be sure to use your common sense and no bad language or comment topics, please. This is not to be mean, but to keep everyone safe! Any comments that do not go along these rules will be deleted before anyone else can view them. Please keep your words clean, pure, and pleasing to God!

etiquette and such

Girlz of God Copyright Talia DeAndrea 2010, 2011, 2012. "Genuine," "Girlz of God," and "Tania's Faith" book excerpts Copyright Talia DeAndrea 2010, 2011, 2012. All pictures Copyright Talia DeAndrea, unless otherwise noted. Please do not steal or copy anything on this blog without my permission. Thank you :-).

Header, button, and signature copyright Marieanne.

Shush template by Our Blog Templates.

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP