Desiring a Deeper Relationship

Sometimes, I feel really distant from God. Like when I haven't talked to Him in a while, haven't read His Word in a while, have thought about myself better than others, and crowded my mind with things that don't glorify God, but glorify me, myself, and I. Ick. Without God, what on earth would I be anyway? I'd be nothing. I'd be a lonely, self-centered, miserable person, to be completely honest. I'd have nothing and no one to live for if I didn't have God in my life. And often times, when I'm feeling distant from God, I think, I want to be closer to God. I really do. I want to be closer to God and don't like at all being so distant from God. When I don't spend time with Him and in His Word, I find that my actions and attitudes are not godly most of the time. So if I really do want to be close to God, what should I do? It's kind of a no-brainer. I'd spend time with Him talking to Him, listening to Him, reading His Word, and doing what it says. Imagine that your best friend moves away and you don't talk to her for a while. You think, I wish I could be closer to my best friend, but I guess I can't. Hello-o! Yes you can! Pick up the phone and call her! Or write her a letter! Growing closer to another person involves effort. You can't just snap your fingers and have a true, lifelong best friend. You can't just wish upon a star one second and be swept off your feet by Prince Charming the next. It takes effort to grow closer to someone, especially a relationship that will last a long time. Now, some of you may be thinking that some bf/gf (boyfriend/girlfriend) relationships don't take much effort. Keep in mind that they also don't last long. Real, true friendships that will last a lifetime take effort from both people involved in the relationship. And God is involved. He's constantly waiting for you to come to Him, trying to show you His love, and caring for You. He puts in more than enough effort - He died for you! And if that isn't true love, and if that doesn't show that someone really does treasure this relationship and wants it to grow and prosper, then I have no clue what does. Seriously.

So, where am I getting at here? I'm trying to tell you that God is putting the effort into a deeper relationship He desires to have with You. He is your perfect Father, not a father that will leave and abandon you. God is not a father that will harass you with words and actions, put you down, and ditch you. God is a Father who is and always will love you, cherish you, care for you, understand you, be there for you, and never, ever leave you. God truly desires to spend time with you. Will you put in the effort by talking to Him, reading His Word, listening to Him, and doing what God says?

Today I came to a really neat passage in my Bible, Psalm 40, that I want to share with you. Please take the time to read it. It really is worth it.

Psalm 40
    1 I waited patiently for the Lord to help me,
      and he turned to me and heard my cry.
 2 He lifted me out of the pit of despair,
      out of the mud and the mire.
   He set my feet on solid ground
      and steadied me as I walked along.
 3 He has given me a new song to sing,
      a hymn of praise to our God.
   Many will see what he has done and be amazed.
      They will put their trust in the Lord.
 4 Oh, the joys of those who trust the Lord,
      who have no confidence in the proud
      or in those who worship idols.
 5 O Lord my God, you have performed many wonders for us.
      Your plans for us are too numerous to list.
      You have no equal.
   If I tried to recite all your wonderful deeds,
      I would never come to the end of them.
 6 You take no delight in sacrifices or offerings.
      Now that you have made me listen, I finally understand[a]
      you don’t require burnt offerings or sin offerings.
 7 Then I said, “Look, I have come.
      As is written about me in the Scriptures:
 8 I take joy in doing your will, my God,
      for your instructions are written on my heart.”
 9 I have told all your people about your justice.
      I have not been afraid to speak out,
      as you, O Lord, well know.
 10 I have not kept the good news of your justice hidden in my heart;
      I have talked about your faithfulness and saving power.
   I have told everyone in the great assembly
      of your unfailing love and faithfulness.
 11 Lord, don’t hold back your tender mercies from me.
      Let your unfailing love and faithfulness always protect me.
 12 For troubles surround me—
      too many to count!
   My sins pile up so high
      I can’t see my way out.
   They outnumber the hairs on my head.
      I have lost all courage.
 13 Please, Lord, rescue me!
      Come quickly, Lord, and help me.
 14 May those who try to destroy me
      be humiliated and put to shame.
   May those who take delight in my trouble
      be turned back in disgrace.
 15 Let them be horrified by their shame,
      for they said, “Aha! We’ve got him now!”
 16 But may all who search for you
      be filled with joy and gladness in you.
   May those who love your salvation
      repeatedly shout, “The Lord is great!”
 17 As for me, since I am poor and needy,
      let the Lord keep me in his thoughts.
   You are my helper and my savior.
      O my God, do not delay.

Emii  – (May 4, 2011 at 1:13 AM)  

Talia, thanks so much for this post. I really needed it right now. It seems like God's been doing that a lot lately.

I know what you mean. I like to listen to the song "Faithful" by Brooke Fraser. It always makes me feel closer to God.

And thanks for giving me the opportunity of posting over here -- I'll be putting a link up over at my blog.

Luv,Emii

Talia  – (May 4, 2011 at 8:14 AM)  

Emii, I am so excited and glad that God used this post for His glory! He's amazing like that, isn't He? Thanks for commenting, EMii, and know that I'm praying for you and that God lvoes you sooo much!
Talia
p.s. Thank YOU for doing the guest post! It was awesome and so true.

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Just be sure to use your common sense and no bad language or comment topics, please. This is not to be mean, but to keep everyone safe! Any comments that do not go along these rules will be deleted before anyone else can view them. Please keep your words clean, pure, and pleasing to God!

etiquette and such

Girlz of God Copyright Talia DeAndrea 2010, 2011, 2012. "Genuine," "Girlz of God," and "Tania's Faith" book excerpts Copyright Talia DeAndrea 2010, 2011, 2012. All pictures Copyright Talia DeAndrea, unless otherwise noted. Please do not steal or copy anything on this blog without my permission. Thank you :-).

Header, button, and signature copyright Marieanne.

Shush template by Our Blog Templates.

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP