Why we Need the Bible

As I sit here and type this, I'm thinking that the title post is pretty lame. It's not really interesting. But, what I realized is that it's not about the name. It's about the words in this post. So, I thought I'd take you on a three-part journey to finding out how we can know that the Bible is real and why we need it, if you'll come along. This journey might involve some looking into your heart and being really, really honest with yourself. So, if you want to, chat with God and ask Him to give you an appetite for His Word. Ready...set...now here we go!


On one of the previous posts, Got Me Thinking (click to check it out), I asked you why YOU think we need the Bible, and here's what you said...


Mary said, "I think we definitely DO need the Bible. First of all, the Ten Commandments. Those really help in the lives of Christians and non-Christians. Also, the Bible really tells us who God is and what he has done for us, and if there was no Bible, we wouldn't know who really did create the earth."


We'll come back to Mary's answer, but first we'll take a look at Lexi's...


Lexi said, "I, like Mary, think we certainly need the Bible. When we are feeling down or going through a hard time, we can turn to it for guidance. It also contains stories that we can apply to our own lives. There are A LOT of reasons why we need the Bible!"

Let's talk about Mary's answer. Firstly, she says about the Ten Commandments, "Those really help in the lives of Christians and non-Christians." That's very true. Mary goes on to say that if there was no Bible, we wouldn't know who really did create the earth. Let's back up a step. I know that some people think that it's rude for us to say that people who have never heard of Jesus will still not go to heaven when they die. I didn't understand that for a while either. But then someone explained it to me. They told me that God has given every person the knowledge to know that they were created by Someone. Just look around you! It's amazing that God has made everything so complex! How could all of this be a big mistake? Don't get me wrong, I am very saddened that not everyone trusts in Jesus. It is a life-changing decision, and trusting in God will not always be easy. But it will be rewarding, and it is full of so many blessings to know Christ. He's so good!

Before we go further, I'd like to show you this really cool poem that I love.

Here's a version of it.

"Footprints in the Sand"


One night I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord.
Many scenes from my life flashed across the sky.
In each scene I noticed footprints in the sand.
Sometimes there were two sets of footprints,
other times there were one set of footprints.

This bothered me because I noticed
that during the low periods of my life,
when I was suffering from
anguish, sorrow or defeat,
I could see only one set of footprints.

So I said to the Lord,
"You promised me Lord,
that if I followed you,
you would walk with me always.
But I have noticed that during
the most trying periods of my life
there have only been one
set of footprints in the sand.
Why, when I needed you most,
you have not been there for me?"

The Lord replied,
"The times when you have
seen only one set of footprints,
is when I carried you."
--Mary Stevenson

The first thing we're gonna be talking about is Spiritual Conviction. You may be thinking, What on earth is spiritual conviction?! It's sort of like it's the knowledge inside of you that really knows that the truth about God is just that - true. It's when you read the words of the Bible or hear someone preach about God or just talk about it with one of your friends, and your mind says, That isn't real, but inside you know that it really is. It's like God is whispering, saying, "It's Me, ____ (your name here)! I'm real. The Bible is true. You can trust in Me. I won't let you down and I won't let you go." Do you just ignore that conviction? Spiritual conviction is one of the ways we can know the Bible is real. Spiritual conviction is not just thinking that you believe. It's like a 'voice' telling you that this is true. And it is.

This week, I challenge you to go to your pastor or Christian friend or just someone who has a really strong relationship with God. Or you can do this on your own. Try reading some stories or passages from the Bible (study Bibles can help you find what you're looking for), and search your heart to see if it is convicting you - if you can see yourself in the stories, or if they relate to what you're going through. I know I may sound whack, but trust me. No, trust God. You could also read a devotional book (I can suggest some to you, if you want) or a really good, Christian book. Then wait and see.

If you'd like to post a comment today, please tell us either what you did, if a Scripture convicted you (and possibly even what Scripture it was, if you want), or what you think about spiritual conviction. You could also post your ideas for really believing in what is convicting you, since we'll be talking about that in a bit.

Stay tuned...there will be much more to come!

Talia

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Just be sure to use your common sense and no bad language or comment topics, please. This is not to be mean, but to keep everyone safe! Any comments that do not go along these rules will be deleted before anyone else can view them. Please keep your words clean, pure, and pleasing to God!

etiquette and such

Girlz of God Copyright Talia DeAndrea 2010, 2011, 2012. "Genuine," "Girlz of God," and "Tania's Faith" book excerpts Copyright Talia DeAndrea 2010, 2011, 2012. All pictures Copyright Talia DeAndrea, unless otherwise noted. Please do not steal or copy anything on this blog without my permission. Thank you :-).

Header, button, and signature copyright Marieanne.

Shush template by Our Blog Templates.

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP