Do You Hear What I Hear?

Our family just got back yesterday from a fun trip to the snow, where we stayed in a lodge with relatives and had a lot of fun. One NOT-fun thing that happened on the trip was getting sick. I woke up in the middle of Saturday night not feeling well at all. I went to the restroom and tried to go back to bed, but I woke up yet again, feeling awful. I went to my parents' room and decided to sleep there instead. And, well, let's just say that it was a long night of little sleep, my stomach aching, and throwing up (sooo not fun!). But then I thought, How come God is making me sick on vacation?! I kept reminding myself that He wasn't MAKING me sick, He was ALLOWING me to be sick. But me, being stubborn as I can be at times, was resistant to believing that. But then I remembered a blog post by Nancy Rue, in which she said, "When you're all bummed out about something, whether it's not being invited to the sleepover or having your BFF move away, look for something in it to thank God for (probably AFTER you've done some grieving; those feelings are important, too.)" So I looked for something to be thankful for, and you know what I discovered (more like what GOD showed me)? I could be thankful because while I was sick, God reminded me to pray for OTHERS. And I am thankful for that. And yesterday, when we had to travel 5 hours to get home (which would be SOOOO un-fun being sick), God healed me. HE did that. He didn't have to do it, but He did.

So where am I getting at with this blog post? And how come I'm talking about being thankful if it's SO past Thanksgiving (I'm sure most of us - including myself - are MAJOR excited for Christmas!)?

Well, I think we should use the values and morals that we learn to use on other holidays, and not JUST on those holidays. Who says we have to be thankful ONLY on Thanksgiving? Who says we have to give gifts - like our talents and time - ONLY on Christmas? Who says we have to be loving ONLY on Valentine's Day?

Some of you bloggers might think that's it lame to talk about Christmas when, like, EVERYONE already is. Or if you're a blog reader, you might be tired of reading the same-'ol blog posts. But the truth is, we need to hear this message. We need to apply it to our lives. And we need to reflect on the awesomeness of God's love, even if we don't think there IS any in our lives. But the truth is, everyone has at least one God-given gift that they can use for God's glory. Everyone has at least one thing to be thankful for, whether it's food or the color of their hair, which they really like, or their teacher, who helps them learn.

The other day I was watching a show about police in Texas, and it made me really sad. The people they arrest are out of control. They look to drugs, theft, and stuff like that to make them happy, but those things really won't make them happy. It only makes them out of control or miserable, not truly and eternally happy. It really hit me when my dad said that these people were once kids, too. Wow. Think about that. And pray for them.

I don't know what you think about this post. You may think it's inspiring, or nonsense, or just plain babbling on and on. But what I really want you to get from this is that it really is important to remember THE reason for the season - Jesus Christ - and to share His love with others. It is so, so important. Without God, we would be nothing. Without God, we would have no hope. Without God, we woudn't even be here. If He didn't come as a baby to grow up and tell the world of His salvation and then die on the cross for OUR sins (we all commit them), then where would we be? We'd be in the pits of hell (to be blunt). It's true. And God doesn't want that for us. That's why He came - to save us. All we have to do is confess we are sinful, ask God for forgiveness, and accept Him into our lives as our personal Lord and Savior. If we truly mean it, He won't neglect us.

And what about that whole 'sharing God's love' thing? Why is it so important? Well, there are many people in the world who haven't heard of the love of Christ, and there are many others who have turned from God, and it is SO important to help them get on the right track. The consequences of not trusting in God are unbearable.

Here is a Christmas song I really like, "Do You Hear What I Hear?" (Not sure who wrote it - sorry!!!)

Do You Hear What I Hear?

Said the night wind to the little lamb, Do you see what I see?
Way up in the sky, little lamb, do you see what I see?
A star, a star, dancing in the night, with a tail as big as a kite,
With a tail as big as a kite.

Said the little lamb to the shepherd boy, Do you hear what I hear?
Ringing thru the sky, shepherd boy, do you hear what I hear?
A song, a song, high above the tree, with a voice as big as the sea,
With a voice as big as the sea.

Said the shepherd boy to the mighty king, Do you know what I know?
In your palace warm, mighty king, do you know what I know?
A Child, a Child, shivers in the cold; Let us bring Him silver and gold,
Let us bring Him silver and gold.

Said the king to the people everywhere, Listen to what I say!
Pray for peace, people everywhere, Listen to what I say!
The Child, The Child, sleeping in the night; He will bring us goodness and light,
He will bring us goodness and light.

Now I'm not saying that wind or little lambs can talk. What I'm saying is to share the news of God's love, of His birth, of His salvation. GOD is the One whom Christmas is all about. And I know you've probably heard it alot (or maybe you haven't, and this is only your first or second time). No matter who you are, God came for YOU. He died for YOU. And He loves YOU. Accept that love...and share it. Be a shining light of God's love. Say, "Do you hear what I hear? God was born to save us! How amazing is that?" And it truly is amazing. Do you hear what I hear? God lives. God loves. God saves.

Luke 2:15 (NIV) (found on biblegateway.com)

...the shepherds said to one another, “Let’s go to Bethlehem and see this thing that has happened, which the Lord has told us about.”

So they hurried off and found Mary and Joseph, and the baby, who was lying in the manger. When they had seen him, they spread the word concerning what had been told them about this child, and all who heard it were amazed at what the shepherds said to them. But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart. The shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all the things they had heard and seen, which were just as they had been told.



Talia

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Just be sure to use your common sense and no bad language or comment topics, please. This is not to be mean, but to keep everyone safe! Any comments that do not go along these rules will be deleted before anyone else can view them. Please keep your words clean, pure, and pleasing to God!

etiquette and such

Girlz of God Copyright Talia DeAndrea 2010, 2011, 2012. "Genuine," "Girlz of God," and "Tania's Faith" book excerpts Copyright Talia DeAndrea 2010, 2011, 2012. All pictures Copyright Talia DeAndrea, unless otherwise noted. Please do not steal or copy anything on this blog without my permission. Thank you :-).

Header, button, and signature copyright Marieanne.

Shush template by Our Blog Templates.

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP